Corkscrew collectors acquire new pieces through a number of different channels; Ebay, live auctions, antique stores, etc. One of the consequences of collecting is that occasionally you have to purchase a lot which includes items other than that one rare corkscrew. Because of this, it's not uncommon for the seasoned collector to start to accumulate some unintended purchases. Below is some of the corkscrew bycatch that I have acquired over time. I will continue to update this page with new unusual acquisitions.
- 2 daggers with sheaths
- Pocket knife
- Commemorative George Washington inauguration axe
- Vintage spectacles with aluminum case
- Set of 3 varying sized Sterling silver spoons
- Sterling silver bone marrow spoon
- Trench art letter opener marked 1918
- 2 fencing foils
- $500,000 of gold mine stock
- Vintage wooden box with stamps
- Victorian era miniature porcelain painting
- Heavy miniature cannon
- Carved indian tobacco pipe
- Prince Albert tobacco tin
My corkscrew buying hasn't slowed down, quite the contrary. With the corkscrews comes more unintended non corkscrew items.
- Unusual bottle opener
- Magnifying glass with carved handle
- Iron tongs
- Silverplate wick cutting tongs?
- Turned bone scoop
- Hanging Sterling silver jam or honey spoon
- 3 small decorative boxes
- 2 vintage nutcrackers
- Wooden advertising bookmark
- Gramophone buffer
- 2 bottle shaped lighters
- Glass pistol shaped flask
- Small pewter mug
I managed to acquire 4 vintage gadget canes in the pursuit of corkscrew gadget canes. 3 have concealed lighters and one is a pool cue.